Checklist of U.S. Animated Feature releases in 2016
1. NORM OF THE NORTH (1/15/16) Lionsgate. D: Trevor Wall
2. MONSTER HUNT (1/22/16) Film Rise. D: Raman Hui. (Live action/Animation)
3. KUNG FU PANDA 3 (1/29/16) Dreamworks/20th Century-Fox. D: Jennifer Yuh Nelson; Co-Director: Allesandro Carloni.
4. SNOWTIME (2/19/16) Shout Factory. D: Jean-François Pouliot.
5. THE BOY AND THE BEAST (3/4/16) Funimation. D: Mamoru Hosoda. (anime)
6. ZOOTOPIA (3/4/16) Disney. D: Byron Howard, Rich Moore.
7. RACHET AND CLANK (4/29/16) Focus Features. D: Jerrica Vleland, Kevin Munroe.
8. THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE (5/20/16) Sony. D: Clay Kaytis, Fergal Reilly.
9. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS (6/3/16) Paramount. D:Dave Green.
10. FINDING DORY (6/17/16) Disney/Pixar. D: Andrew Stanton, Angus MacLane.
11. THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS (7/8/16) Universal (Illumination). D: Chris Renaud, Yarrow Cheney.
12. PHANTOM BOY (7/15/16) GKIDS. D: Jean-Loup Felicioli, Alain Gagnol.
13. ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE (7/22/16) 20th Century-Fox. D: Mike Thurmeier.
14. THE LITTLE PRINCE (8/5/16) Netflix. D: Mark Osborne.
15. SAUSAGE PARTY (8/12/16) Sony. Sony. D: Greg Tiernan, Conrad Vernon.
16. KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS Focus/Laika. (8/19/16) D: Travis Knight.
17. SPACE DOGS: ADVENTURE TO THE MOON Epic Pictures Group. (8/26/16) D: Mike Disa.
18. THE WILD LIFE Lionsgate. (9/9/16) D: Vincent Kesteloot, Ben Stassen.
19. STORKS (9/23/16) Warner Bros. D: Nicholas Stoller, Doug Sweetland.
20. LONG WAY NORTH (9/9/16) Shout Factory. D: Rémi Chayé.
21. MISS HOKUSAI (10/14/16) GKids. (anime) D: Keiichi Hara.
22. TROLLS (11/4/16) Dreamworks – 20th Century-Fox. D: Mike Mitchell.
23. THE RED TURTLE (11/18/16) Sony Pictures Classics. D: Michaël Dudok de Wit
24. MOANA (11/23/16) Disney. D: Ron Clements, John Musker.
25. SING (12/21/16) Universal (Illumination). D: Garth Jennings.
Release Dates TBA
• MY LIFE AS A ZUCCHINI – GKids. D: Claude Barras
• THE GIRL WITH NO HANDS – GKids. D: Sébastien Laudenbach
• MY ENTIRE HIGH SCHOOL SINKING INTO THE SEA – D: Dash Shaw
NOTES: Limited-release theatricals (movies going Direct-to-Video (DVD, VOD but getting a theatrical billboard) began this year with theatrical showings of YELLOW DAY, a faith-based live action/animation feature, directed by Carl Lauten, which opened in L.A. on January 8th 2016 via the Alabama-based Idyllic Entertainment Group. Funimation released the anime feature THE EMPIRE OF CORPSES, directed by Ryoutarou Makihara, for two days on April 19th and 20th. Momentum Pictures released the Korean produced BLING!, directed by Kyung Ho Lee and Wonjae Lee, to select theaters on May 6th. Aniplex America released anime feature CLASSMATES (Doukyusei) by Shoko Nakamaura on May 6th. Funimation released the anime feature HARMONY, directed by Michael Arias and Takashi Nakamura, animated by Studio 4°C and based the novel of the same name by Project Itoh, for two days on May 17th and 18th. Shout Factory released the Russian made QUACKERZ, directed by Viktor Lakisov, on June 3rd. NUTS, a documentary by Penny Lane, that uses much animation to illustrate its true story, had its theatrical premiere in New York on June 22nd. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Fathom Events partnered to give BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, a special one-night big screen release on Monday, July 25th in select cinemas across the country. Shout! Factory Kids released the CGI Australian feature BLINKY BILL: THE MOVIE on October 7th in Los Angeles. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Fathom Events partnered to give BATMAN: RETURN OF THE CAPED CRUSADERS, a special one-night big screen release on Monday, October 10th in select cinemas across the country.